Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Argument in Favor of New Adult That Finally Won Me Over!


I've heard a lot of pro-New Adult arguments from authors in the genre and adults in general, but this is the first time I've heard the argument from the perspective of a reader in the target age group and she really won me over. 

While she obviously doesn't know that there are YA books with sex in them (like Sex & Violence by Carrie Mesrobian), I don't think that invalidates her point at all. In fact, I think this misconception about YA only being for "kids" and how it hides YA books with sex from readers who want to read them, only strengthens the argument in favor of giving these kidns of books their own genre. 

Books that do target older teens and "new" adults don't get as much attention, or effective marketing to get them in the hands of readers who need and want them. With the exception of New Adult romances. While there is nothing wrong with romance, there are so many other fantastic YA novels that fit into that New Adult genre that would benefit from the that targeted marketing.

What do you think? 
How would you define the New Adult genre?
What books, YA or Adult, do you think would fit better in New Adult? 

I'll do a future post with a list of many books I feel should be categorized as NA, and why I think both the books and readers would benefit from it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment